We are very grateful to recognize the Victor A. Hoersch Elderly Services Trust as our Sponsor of the Month for their very generous support to several of our services for seniors. They made the following gifts:
- $1,250 for mileage reimbursement for Senior Transportation and Meals on Wheels volunteers
- $1,000 to RSVP will help us recruit experienced volunteers to serve at more than 90 non-profit organizations and groups in Champaign, Piatt, and Douglas counties.
- $1,500 to our emergency medical fund for people served by the Senior Resource Center
- $1,000 to provide in-home non-medical services to older adults
Thank you for keeping older adults safe, healthy, and involved in Champaign County!
Upcoming Events: Register now
2014 RSVP Annual Volunteer Recognition LuncheonRound Barn Banquet Centre 1900 Round Barn Road, Champaign Monday, October 20, 2014 Registration begins at 11:15; lunch is served at noon No charge for RSVP volunteers; $15 for others Tickets can be purchased at the Stevick Senior Center, 48 Main St, Champaign
Healthy Aging Conference
For New and Seasoned Healthcare Providers
October 28, 2014The I Hotel/Conference Center 1900 S. First Street, Champaign, IL 8:30 am- 4:00 pm
Cost: $75 (includes lunch and CEU’s fees)
6 CEU’s available; 3 Ethics CEU’s approved for social workers
Click this link for complete information and registration form.
2014 Fall Self-Help Conference was a Success!
We want to thank all the people who made our biannual conference on Saturday, October 11 so wonderful!
Dr. Kevin Pettit, keynote speaker, shared his experience, when as a young professor, husband and father, his world was turned upside down suddenly from a major car accident and serious injury including traumatic brain injury His journey adjusting to life with disability and creating new abilities was compelling and inspiring.
Our Mowrer Award Honorees:
Established Group: GROW–Dwain Berggen accepted on their behalf and shared their 36 year success story.
New Group: Parkinson’s Support Group of Champaign County, Facilitators Charlie Rohn and Charles Arbuckle accepted. Only 18 months old this group has 70 people involved and 35-40 at every weekly meeting.
Group Facilitator: Dawn Henry of the Brain Injury Association of East Central Brain Injury Support Grou
The Illini Service Dogs brought their handlers and showed us what a great service they render to people with disability at the end of the day. Check out their website to learn more about their mission.
Are you interested in learning about or being a local voice for senior issues? Then join us on the third Wednesday of each month at the Champaign Public Library. The library opens at 9 am and the meeting starts promptly at 9:09. This collaborative group is sponsored by Family Service and Health Alliance and provides timely topics, informed presenters, and networking opportunities each meeting.
Next meeting: The next meeting will be October 15, at 9:09 at the Champaign Public Library.
A Matter of BalanceWhat is it? Who’s it for? When is it coming to Champaign County? How can I get involved? Nicole Kirlin Faith in Action Coordinator, Catholic Charities of Macon County Call Rosanna McLain, Senior Resource Center Director, at 217-352-5100 or check out www.seniortaskforce.org for more information.
Schnuck’s will donate a percentage of what you spend each month to Family Service. How?
1. Register your Schnuck’s card with eScrip at www.escrip.com/schnuck’s (include all 12 numbers at the bottom) and select Family Service as the recipient. Our group # is 500044316.
2. Make sure your card is scanned every time you check out. This will earn you discounts on gasoline purchases too. Your donations do not reduce your gas discounts.
3. If you need a card or assistance with registering one, call Terry Goode, Development Director, at 352-0099. Thank you!